Your present circumstances don’t determine where you can go. They merely determine where you start.Nido quebin
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
2021 felt like it lasted forever but also somehow it feels like 2020 was last week?
We are going into 2022 with the same uncertainty that we came in to 2021. I try not to talk too much about the pandemic on my blog because its everywhere already but I have to discuss it when we round up the year really… it’s something which has loomed over all of our lives for the last 21 months. I am not about to go into how hopeful we should be and all we have learnt, because we are in a pretty similar place now that we were in this time last year and I cannot try and tell you we might be anywhere different next year. But I can say that god, I HOPE we are!
Although we may still be going through these tough times, we need to remember all the good times and all we have achieved.
2021 was a ROLLERCOASTER of a year!
The year started rocky, my dream holiday to Dubai, meant to be flying on January 4th, was cancelled just a few days before we were due to fly as it was announced we were going into our third lockdown here in the UK. After spending Christmas separate from family for safety, I went into the new year SO optimistic! While I understood its for the safety of everyone, the sudden announcement of another national lockdown, was hard to take. The feeling that any day you could just be told NOPE STAY INSIDE cancel plans…. the uncertainty was wreaking havoc on my mental health.
Early in the year I also lost my Granddad. He was one hell of a man, a cancer survivor, fighter, all round awesome human! So kind, funny and just … the best. We lost him slowly, over months. I haven’t felt grief like that before, when you begin grieving someone before they are actually gone? I miss him, I know hes here and supporting me and proud of me in all I am doing but still sometimes I find myself thinking of him as if hes still just round the corner, winding up my nan… and it feels like the grief hits fresh each time I remember hes not.
I read a quote somewhere that grief doesn’t lessen over time or hurt less, it just gets smaller. And that hits different now, I never truly understand what that meant before.
2021 was also FULL of celebrations!
4 of my best friends turned 30, one of whom has just had her first baby!
My beautiful Mum turned 60, my Brother turned 40, my nephew had his 1st birthday and my niece turned 17! My cousin got married, my brother & his girlfriend got engaged and shes pregnant with another niece or nephew.
My family, friends and I are all double vaxxed with boosters had or booked in. Some of us have had Covid, myself included, but we all were able to avoid getting too sick and have recovered fine.
There is alot to be grateful for. All the life thats been lived, and new life thats coming into the world. As humans we are resilient.
Tough times dont break us, they show us who we really are and who we have in our lives, all the people who are important and essential in our lives. Iv grown a new level of appreciation just for being able to go to the pub with friends. Or to book a trip. Or hug my Nan… I hope I never forget this feeling and I hope I never take the seemingly small things in life for granted again but I cant guarantee it. Its easy to forget when something is so normal, so accessible, so everyday. Like the roof over our heads or the food in our fridge.
Iv also been lucky enough to go on some fantastic holidays! Even though it didnt go exactly as I originally intended…
My year of travel was originally planned to look something like this…
Dubai, Miami, Croatia, Ibiza, Amsterdam, New York
WELL that did not go to plan at all.. my actual year of travel looked like this
Gibraltar, Gibraltar, Ibiza
I am just truly grateful Iv had the opportunity to travel at all!
2022 – COME AT ME!
New Year, BETTER Me!
OK so I know its cliche…. but THIS YEAR… will be MY YEAR.
This year I have tonnes of awesome plans…
Moving home in February to live with my best friend!
Tonnes of travel & personal changes for my health and wealth.
What you can expect from Life with Rachael in 2022…
- Consistency! This year I am ALL about content planning, in 2021 I leveled up my consistency 10x and now in 2022, I have a SOLID content plan, a new home office space designed and tonnes of motivation.
- New Socials! Late in 2021 I shared my brand new FOODIE Instagram account – Eat_withRachael and I am delighted to share here for the FIRST time that theres another account coming very soon, Home_withRachael which will be chock full of home content, aesthetic inspo and tonnes of gorgeous content.
- A Second Blog! To coincide with my brand new Home Insta account, there is also a brand new Home niche BLOG coming soon… this can be expected in the Spring. Domain name still TBC as I am mega torn but content is well underway for this one so watch this space.
- More Personal Content! In 2020 when I started blogging, I shared alot of content about myself, from me, to you. In 2021 I really focused on creating content solely FOR you, my wonderful audience. But part of the reason I started blogging in the first place was because I just love to write and share my life with the world, so while last year was fantastic for content, I am going to this year be sharing monthly or fortnightly personal catch ups! After all, Life with Rachael is a place where I want to be real, relatable and really connect with my readers.
- Tonnes of FUN, awesome recommendations! The LISTS and REVIEWS I have coming up… WOW! You guys are NEVER going to run out of things to do and add to your bucket list.
What do YOU want to see from Life with Rachael in 2022???
& finally… a huge
Thank you to every single reader & supporter, I am beyond grateful for each and every one of you and I cant wait to share 2022 with you all!
Enjoyed this piece? Check out my recent post on Setting New Years Resolutions That STICK!